Wednesday, December 2, 2020

40K Adventurers - Scum - Space Eunuch - Scout - Official - Colony 87 Governor

Introducing Imperial Governor Aegidius Ophatran and family.

When I selected the 'Space Eunuch' as my next 40K Adventurer, I started to think about who he would be grouped with. Although he's listed as 'Scum' on the advertisement, his base tab is labeled 'Space Eunuch', which raised a lot of question for me. Who would a space eunuch be guarding? Who is his master or employer? 

I decided to go with the Colony 87 governor and his wife, who I needed to paint again. I had painted a full set of Colony 87 about two years ago, and photographed it for Crooked Dice. They ended up wanting a set for themselves, so I sent the one I had painted and acquired a second one. Not a fan of painting the same mini twice, and I was a bit concerned I would be more sloppy the second time around. They're about the same, with a few minor changes here and there.

It is common for nobles of Ophatran Secundus to use exotic off-world barbarians and death-worlders for their bodyguards, the more distant the more prestigous. Aegidius has acquired two fearsome gladiators from the other side of the galaxy. I felt that the Space Eunuch needed a companion, and I found a tough-looking warrior woman (I think by the same sculptor!) in my pile of Cobalt-1 miniatures. Cobalt-1 miniatures are the spiritual descendants of the weird stuff found in the early Rogue Trader ranges and she fits in superbly. I gave them some tribal tattoos, and stuck to the red scheme found in the advert. I always loved that guy!!!

Aegidius's daughter is from White Knight miniatures. I picked her up several years ago with no purpose in mind.

Using the opportunity to paint up some of the other important personages that might be hanging around, I took on the 'Official' from the Adventurers range, and two more Colony 87 miniatures. I imagine them to be a high level Administratum liason and a member of the Adeptus Munitorum.


The Official has never been my favorite, mostly because I could never come up with a good color scheme. He reminded me of Carter Burke from Aliens, so I'll be using him as an influential representative of a shady mining concern. I decided to base his colors off the character, to what exent I could anyway.


Lastly, I knocked out the Scout. He's in the employ of Aegidius... for what, remains to be seen.

Getting closer...


10 comments:

  1. Great stuff. The burke inspiration is fantastic. Where did the bust of the cyber eye....general(?) come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      The bust is a conversion of a PVC president's head from a 'Toob'. I used greenstuff to give him an Imperial Navy uniform.

      https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2281/5369/products/688204_figures___TOOB_1000x1000.jpg?v=1589918849

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hehehe, thanks! Not sure I've heard 'brillopads' used like that before! :)

      Delete
  3. These are really great. Those Colony 87 figures go very will with the old stuff. Fantastic painting and scenery too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colony 87 is a great range. Certainly better sculpts in terms of clarity of detail, but they fit proportionally and thematically perfectly.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing C87 models painted so beautifully - you always make some really interesting paint choices that make me think again about a model - the jade decorative end to the advisor's staff; the matching mustard body warmer and codpiece on the official. It's often a fresh original take and really inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I've been trying to get away from the comfort zone I found myself in, as well as looking for concrete inspiration sources. Definitely going in directions I didn't back in the 90s :)

      Delete
    2. Regarding the jade end of the wand- I imagine this guy to be an important data collation official, and his data-wand is not only a badge of office, but tipped with a solid-state circuit or data-key to allow access to high level Administratum records. Hope to fit that into a scenario anyway :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so in love with these. The tatoos are insanely good, but if I had to choose a favourite mini from this bunch, it would certainly be Not-Burke. What an inspired job!

    ReplyDelete