Tuesday, January 21, 2020

40K Rogue Trader Adventurers - Space Pirates

In the ancient times, when I was first getting into Rogue Trader Warhammer 40K, I chanced across an advertisement in White Dwarf #99 that showed a variety of characterful civilian figures. They captured my imagination immediately and I managed to acquire a few. Sadly, it was fairly hard to find the 40K Adventurers figures in Omaha, Nebraska in the late 1980s.

 

After a few breaks from GW over the years, I decided around 2010 to make the final push to collect the entire range and managed to score the ones I was missing on eBay. Every year I tell myself I'm going to paint them, and then the year rolls over... However, this year, my resolution is to paint them all by the end of the year!
 
 


First up were a few of the Pirate types from the advert: the Pirate Captain, Old Pirate, and Space Pirate. I also decided to tackle the Space Pirate from 40K Talisman set, 'Loritta' (aka Cybergirl) from the Space Pirates range, and three other ne-er-do-wells from yet another range of pirates and adventurers. My color inspiration was some spice pirate concept art by Moebius for the legendary Jodorosky Dune movie that never happened.





These figures are crude by today's standards but I have to say they are straight up FUN to paint.





12 comments:

  1. I especially like the character with the bandanna around his face - nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there was a lot more to that guy than I expected, I hadn't spent a lot of time looking at him :)

      Delete
  2. May be 'crude' but loads of character. Very nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you really did an impressive work on these. They may be crude, yet their charm overcomes that. The Moebius move on these is bold, given the kind of sculpt, but I guess you hardly can go wrong with Moebius :D
    Seriously, amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate the comment. 'Crude' may not be the best word to use. I'll have to think about it :)
      I think of the early miniatures (70s, 80s) as being analogous to medieval art (idea oriented, unnatural proportions, less intricate), whereas GW is now full-on baroque (complicated use of space, implied movement, theatricality).

      Glad you like them!

      Delete
  4. Great project...I am loving what you have done so far. The only one of this range I have is the Imperial Bureaucrat/Official which was great fun (and easy) to paint and is possibly my favourite 40K figure of all time. I agree about your medieval vs baroque analysis above, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm looking forward to doing more. I think I have the Official painted already somewhere. He always reminded me of Paul Reiser as Burke in 'Aliens' :)

      Delete
  5. I think they look amazing, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete