Thursday, January 2, 2020

Gelida The Frozen Expanse - Inq28 40K - Tanks!

One of the projects I took on last year was out of the blue. The fan-based "Gelida: The Frozen Expanse" 40k community (started by Magos Buer on Facebook and Instagram) caught my interest almost immediately. I quickly built a walker and pilot. Shortly after I found myself making more figures and vehicles, even though I never wanted to do a snow table or figures for such a table :)


Tank WIP shot. Modified 'Half-Ute' from Ramshackle Games, a Dollar General toy snowplow, and a 'Rhebok APC' from Ramshackle.


 




The following shots are all after the snow effects have been applied. 


 
 

 Couldn't resist doing a little Photoshop.

 

This has been a fun project, with some new challenges. I do have a few more things I'd like to make for the Gelida setting, so more to come...

11 comments:

  1. Really great work. Where did the winged angel head on the plow come from--did you cast it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cast using dental plaster, mold was made from a metal charm I picked up many years ago. I made some more if you want some :)

      Delete
    2. Wow thanks very much yes I definitely have a use for some of these. I would be happy to pay and reimburse postage etc. No hurry though as any such project is not currently on my workbench.. Perhaps email me on jackson(dot)kym(at)gmail(dot)com to discuss further? Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done. How was the prep work on the Ramshackle stuff, I remember the resin to be rather... difficult to work with :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, they took some work. The resin is a brittle type. I think the parts are cast with an 'open face' technique which leaves a side exposed to air, so one side (the bottom) either has too much material or not enough, leaving a sharp edge. I spent some time outdoors on the belt sander wearing a dust mask :)

      Delete
    2. Honesty is (usually!) the best policy :P Turned out great, it's a cool finished piece just wish their resin was different :)

      Delete
  3. I do love them all. The snowplow is much better than one could have expected. Pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad for a dollar toy :) Don't look close at the hydraulic pistons on the front dozer blade ;)

      Delete
  4. That looks ace, the snow effects make a huge difference. Really like the snowplow, a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lucked across it for sure. Only one there and didn't see any others.

      Delete