Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau - Rogue Trader Inquisitor

I've been following (and contributing to) the "Inq28" movement (essentially 28mm scale Inquisitor warbands, using Necromunda and other systems) for about a year now. I've been trying to complete an Inquisition themed miniature each month for a community movement on Instagram, 'Inq28th', in which people post pics on the 28th of the month.

I did a quick survey of my collection of unpainted Inquisitors and I discovered I have over twenty-four of them, ranging from Rogue Trader era to the new ones like Eisenhorn and Greyfax. So, I decided to do a back-and-forth and am going to paint the oldest, then the newest, until I meet somewhere in the middle.

I started with the earliest release I have unpainted, which was the famous Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau from the original Rogue Trader 40K book. I had painted one before, many years ago, but nowhere near this well.
 

I believe Obiwan Sherlock was the first named Inquisitor. I recall being perplexed by his weapon, and I have to say I'm still not sure exactly what it is supposed to be. I think he has a power sword in his description, but he is labeled as 'Lasgun 1' in an old Citadel catalogue.


I ended up deciding it was a xenos weapon and used a small piece of a Necron decal to add some subtle circuitry.


The next Inquisitor will be the most recently released: Gregor Eisenhorn (sadly, Finecast, but still quite nice).

12 comments:

  1. I always figured his weapon was a reciprocating chainsword (the blades slide up and down like a jigsaw).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twenty-four! That's quite a collection. I like the idea of painting them 'from both ends'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That number surprised me, mostly because I never realized GW made that many. Back and forth should make things interesting :)

      Delete
  3. Another unique and rare figure superbly painted. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure how rare he is. I think I acquired him in an auction lot with some other stuff I was actually after :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, it's about as old-school 40k s it gets :)

      Delete
  5. I had no idea they made a figurine for him, he most be worth a lot.
    Beautiful work, I especially like your take on his weapon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think being indecisive about the weapon is what kept me from painting him for so long. I'm not sure how rare he is, I don't think he was a particularly valuable mini though (at least he wasn't, the Oldhammer might have influenced things).

      Delete