Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Mud Brick Walls

The stain on the North African buildings isn't fully dry yet (after a few days) so I went to work on the mud brick walls. These should come in handy for fortifications used by Europeans and Arab slavers in my Darkest Africa games, and also fit in the outskirts of the Islamic inspired town project.

The materials used include a Likto brick stencil, a palette knife, some drywall mud/joint compound, carpenter's wood filler and something to screen onto- in this case 1/2" Gatorfoam. It's a much tougher version of foamcore and correspondingly more expensive. I painted the screen on both sides with shellac because I knew I'd be washing the joint compound off. I should have given it two coats, it has warped slightly and a few small pieces delaminated after repeated washings and screenings.

I mixed a little water into some of the filler, enough to make it squeegee through the screen more easily, yet still stiff enough to hold it's shape . 

Screened through using the palette knife.

Wall stacked up and ready to have loopholes drilled.

They'll receive a coat of thinned wood filler to soften the edges and make the bricks merge into the wall visually.

I also started some 'planters' to hold palm trees and cycads. Most of the middle eastern style villages and cities I see on the tables have palms randomly scattered around. I wanted a few to look more integrated into the other architecture. The smaller square ones have a nut or washer glued underneath to give it some weight. The star shaped walls I'm working on are destined to be a fountain.

More to come, thanks for looking. 


  1. Thanks, I'm really curious to see what they look like after painting. I'm thinking of using a craft crackle paint to simulate cracking mud. It could go either way ;)

  2. How are you going to base all that wall?! I am planning something similar for my Texas games, but I don't really see how to base it for the most possible combinations.

  3. That's a good question. I was planning on embedding magnets in the ends but that will limit me to 90 degree angles. The alternative is to use a very thin material (I've used the table top laminate/veneer stuff before) that taper off in width at the ends, so that they can be set next to each other at any angle. I used that on my graveyard layout. The problem with that is that the bases might not match the setting. For example on these I want them mainly for Africa but I might want to use them in the Middle East. In short I'm still thinking about it :)

    Wargamer problems ;)