Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Imperial Buildings - Subway, Bridge, Townhouse

I've been working on a variety of buildings (mostly 3d printed with some custom work) to add to the intact Imperial 40k city.

First, a ridiculously large bridge from Warlayer. I've been wanting to get some more height into my layouts and this was over-the-top. It won't even fit in my background.



It took a really long time to print, and when I realized how big it was I was too deep in to abandon it. It is a modular system, and I like the overall appearance,  but some design elements could have been better planned. There was no great way to align a tower with the bridge, and no 'risers' that fit the two unit width. The stacking items don't align well either. I ended up digitally modifying the tower to have an archway opening to the bridge; I added a horizontal band between the tower top and a roof to make it seem more natural, created a two-wide riser, and I digitally modified some parts so they fit correctly.

This next project is from Astland/Mini Dreams and was part of a Kickstarter. One of the add-ons was a bunker looking thing that I decided needed to be a subway/underground. I went a little overboard on this too- adding a base/platform with steps down to simulate depth, as well as a green mini-LED light inside (which isn't as bright as I'd hoped).



This build has parts from Astland (building, benches) and Warlayer (railings/walls, modified), a sign I designed,  as well as components from Hirst Arts, Keebler, and custom molds.




Lastly, a pretty much stock 3d printed house from Astland, also part of recent Kickstarter. This type of building is what I've been after for quite a while... just a normal, non-ruined house. I will certainly be making more as time allows, this stuff took ages to print.



I haven't taken time to set up any real nice photo layouts, but this stuff will certainly be showing up in pictures in the future.


Bundled Bernie is an STL I found on Thingiverse, showing yet again that its sometimes cold in the big city!

11 comments:

  1. I quite like the Astland stuff. My first though was the bunker thing looked like a subway entrance as well.I really like the green you've chosen for it.

    It's probably a bit late, but perhaps you could cut a section of the middle of the bridge to shorten it enough to fit your backdrop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astland designed a a bridge that is more close to what I was wanting, so I'll just end up printing that :)

      Delete
  2. Phenomenal! I've always disliked the default ruined city terrain that 40k gives us. This setup shows exactly what I imagine a densely urban 40k world to look like - baroque and slightly ludicrous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's not to love about this? It's huge and it's perfect down to every detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will come in handy I think, for photos if nothing else :)

      Delete
  4. 1.) Bernie is to die for!!

    2.) That subway is so fantastic. Like I never knew I needed it until now.

    3.) The gothic house is so uncanny. It looks so odd without every other panel being blown out and bent to bits.

    4.) These posts are oushing me over the edge on 3d printing. I've been thinking about the upcoming Elegoo stuff a lot lately. So tempting.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, appreciated! My Ender3 and Mars2Pro have done me right so far. I suspect that prices will continue to drop, and quality is only getting better.

      Delete
    2. I am a bit on the fence about 3D printing too, I would love it for terrain projects like this, I could afford it, but I am worried about the time sink factor and I am not that good at technology...so I haven't taken the plunge so far.

      But, this stuff all looks amazing! Great work!

      Delete
  5. These look fantastic - as always I am in awe of your city set-up. I really am thinking about getting a 3D printer to do something similar but so far I haven't taken the plunge. I can afford it but I'm not that good with technology and I have limited time, so I still haven't made the move yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's becoming much more accessible. My buddy just got a elegoo neptune on sale and is really liking it. He changed from an ender 3 to the neptune because he doesn't like to tinker. It prints quite cleanly fresh out of the box.

      Delete