Monday, November 30, 2020

Tau Pathfinders Additions - Wargames Atlantic Spider - Hasslefree Maxine

When I was painting the Giant Spider prototypes for Wargame Atlantic I was already envisioning adding one to my Tau 40K Kill Team. I was a big fan of the old Alien Legion comics back in the day (essentially a sci-fi Foreign Legion mishmash of aliens of all sorts) and I like the concept of Tau auxiliaries.

The base of the conversion is of course a Wargames Atlantic giant spider. The kit includes sci-fi faceplates, bionic legs, and a weapon arm. I swapped in a Tau pulse rifle and aerial, some greenstuff (I wanted him to have a second grasping claw, which the kit lacks), milliput for the cephalothorax armor, and some plasticard. 

I also dug through my backlog and pulled out Hasslefree's Maxine- who I never believed was human and has a suspiciously Tau-like gun. 

The entire Tau kill team so far:

The Giant Spiders kit is pretty sweet, I was really happy to get my hands on the plastics! Here's the sci-fi version I painted for Wargames Atlantic for comparison:







12 comments:

  1. These are great! I particularly like the earthworm and platypus guy. The grey armour really ties the unit together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! The spider conversion is perfect, particularly the grasping claw that looks as if it were sculpted for the kit.

    As much as I enjoy Tau, I wish that GW would lean a bit more into the Empire part and get some real aliens in there like you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, they stopped with Kroot and Vespid. Time for more!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's nice! I mean, the original spider is cool, but your repurposing is genius, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is the spider so adorable? They're not supposed to be cute. I concur with everyone that Tau should have more aliens, but I didn't realize it until reading this post. Well done on the whole team. The hasslefree figs really set the whole group off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think it is adorable, I found it to be fairly friendly looking myself, I thought I was a little crazy haha!

      Delete
  5. I love the Dirty Dozen vibe you've got going on with the Tau kill team. This newest addition blends in perfectly. The enlarged armour section works a treat. I need to keep an eye out for the plastic kit - the vanilla build also looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with the kit!

      Delete
  6. That’s a great build, and I love the squad effect. The kit feels like one of the things I’ll just have to get regardless of use! The carapace armour really works, I think I’ll need to see about some sort of replica myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I really enjoy figuring out how to integrate more things into the Tau team.

      Delete