Thursday, November 26, 2020

Eldar Light Spacecraft Build

I've been working on this project for quite some time. I first conceived using an Imaginext toy I commandeered from my child for a spacecraft several years ago. I originally intended to use it as a Retro-Raygun Valkeeri craft, but I changed my mind several months ago when working on some Rogue Trader Eldar. Acquiring a 3D printer had also opened up some possibilities and jumpstarted the process. 



The base model was an Imaginext "Freeco Bike".

I liked the way it looked rotated 180 degrees, and planned to add some fins and stuff in order to '1950' it up a bit. While working on the Rogue Trader Eldar I thought I wanted a flyer for them, and revisted the Imaginext toy. Once I committed to it I enlarged and printed off a sail from a Battlefleet Gothic Eldar model I found online. I applied some filler to hide print lines a bit, messed that up,pulled it off the model, and printed a second one. 




My son, who plays Eldar, hooked me up with some vehicle bits and some Scatter lasers. I added some more small organic shaped egg 'pods' to the ship to tie the look together. Milliput, combined with a lot of sanding, blends the sail into the fuselage.


I used an airbrush to get the base tones down and to apply the distinctive stripes found on Rogue Trader Eldar.

It stayed in this stage for about three months until I had time to apply the finishing touches.


 Thanks for looking!


9 comments:

  1. What a wondeful spaceship! Thanks for showing how you worked on it step by step. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I often appreciate the behind-the-scenes and WIP shots people post, when I remember to actually take some I like to post them :)

      Delete
  2. You are my hero. You envisioned it from the beginning and turned it into reality. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That really is absolutely fantastic--I love it! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete