Friday, May 15, 2020

40k Zoats and Murder Hornets


When Games Workshop announced the upcoming release of a Zoat for Blackstone Fortress, I knew that I'd better paint mine up. Faithful readers of the blog may recall a similar prodding regarding the Ambull :)


One is vintage Rogue Trader era GW, the other is from Knightmare Games.


I also painted some deadly looking sci-fi insects I acquired years ago from a guy doing a Dune project on the Lead Adventure Forum. I don't know what these had to do with Dune, but I bought them along with a bunch of other stuff. The color scheme is based loosely off the Zebs in the original Metroid game. I made them some egg deposits using some plastic Christmas holiday sprigs while working on the hornets. They'll make good deathworld insects.


All the new stuff was painted up fairly quickly, using a lot of Contrast paints with just a bit of direct painting.

7 comments:

  1. What a colorful alien landscape. For mostly contrast paints they really do pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like Contrast quite a bit. Takes a little care to avoid harsh edges but it's slowly replacing what I used washes for.

      Delete
  2. I came here prepared to make an 'amazing! jealous!' comment about the Zoats, but those weird insects are SO COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your zoats very much. Mine were painted about 15 years ago and compared against lovely modern paint schemes like yours, they're very flat. Those colour transitions across the skin add a real sense of realism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I often regret having waited so long to paint stuff but lots of practice has paid off now that I'm getting to some favorites from the olden days.

      Delete
  4. great work--I do like to see Zoats painted well, and those insects look very cool too.

    ReplyDelete