Friday, April 17, 2020

40K Rogue Trader Adventurers - Space Ship Crew

Continuing at a nice pace on my New Year's resolution, I put the finishing touches on my next installment of the 40K Adventurers today. After completing the last group I asked who I should do next and the majority vote was for the ship's crew.



Three of these are from the Adventurers range- the Halfling Cook, Pilot Lorgar (with his hand on the headset), and the Ship's Officer (firing a needle pistol). One figure is an Astronaut from Talisman, who happens to be wearing a spacesuit nearly identical to the officer. Lastly, I added two more 40K Astronauts sculpted by Bob Olley. They seem a bit out of place stylistically but they're from the period and I added them to the group.

I have painted all of these in the past, so it was fun to revisit them. I still have the three ship crew, so you get to see what an early 1990s Dr. Mathias paintjob looks like in comparison.



My color scheme was inspired by an image by Tony Moore, used on a 'Fear Agent' comic cover. I haven't read it, but saw the image online a few years ago and saved it. 

 

 I also took a couple extra scenic shots. 



The alien beast is a "Dragon Lizard" by RAFM. Looks a lot like the creature Pakrat encounters in this old Atari Force comic from the 80s, which is why I painted it red. I wonder which came first?



Not sure who is up next... 








19 comments:

  1. Honestly, it would never have occurred to me to mix the Iron Claw Jump Troopers with the Talisman and RT pilots, but they work a treat. Although you are right in that there are stylistic sculpting differences, the gear is pretty uniform with the enclosed helmets and knee pads. The colour scheme (which I love - I'll be borrowing it for something I suspect), also works brilliantly to tie them all together. My favourite recent project of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving these! That's a really nice colour scheme (a bit of a step up from the bright green!) That ship's officer is probably the one RT mini that I most regret getting rid of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that green was a bit out of control :)

      I may have an extra of the officer if you are interested.

      Delete
    2. If that worked, that could be awesome! How much would it cost for the guy plus postage to Aus?

      Delete
    3. Looks like I do have one, there's a nice mold line on him though! Last time I posted to Australia it was about triple what I expected :)
      I'll see how much shipping would be.

      Delete
    4. I guess there's a reason the other two got painted and he didn't! If shipping is too crazy, don't worry!

      Delete
    5. Are you on Lead Adventure Forum by chance? Maybe you could send me an email through this blog, or PM me on LAF with your address.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work/minis man! I've got the chef somewhere - saving him for a Necromunda hanger on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, these really work well as a group I think and individually you have done a great paint job on each one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there's a few others in the set that look like they would fit with this group really well, had to draw the line :)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant paint-work. A very characterful set of old-school figures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work on some really old unique characters. Where did the alien eggs come from?

    I would vote for the remaining pilot next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eggs are day lily seed pods I collected and cast in resin. I may have a few extra if you want some.

      Eldar Trader is up next but I will take the pilot on after that :)

      Delete
    2. I was thinking they had a truly organic feel to them. That would explain it!

      Delete
  7. Holy freaking hell!

    These really surprised me!
    Even dough i have a big interest in RT figures, i never heard about these. I recognise the style, but I think I only saw the jetpack one.
    They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete