Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Gelida the Frozen Expanse - Wendigo Lair



This will be my last 40K Frozen World post for a while, I finally knocked out the remaining ideas I had for the project. I've been wanting to make a terrain item that represented the entrance to a forgotten Adeptus Mechanicus facility, recently revealed by seismic activity. The guardian of the facility is a WΣNDɨGØ class servitor.



Some soldiers venturing into the darkness...

 I found a Fallout Vault door on Thingiverse and printed it out on my Ender 3.  I modified it a bit by adding bark, styrofoam, and some texture so it looked more natural. I wanted it to fit with my Zone Mortalis tiles so it's raised up about half an inch on the interior. Snow effects are a mix of Woodland Scenics Snow, white paint, gloss medium, a drop or two of iridescent paint, and a bit of water.




Thanks for following the project!

8 comments:

  1. That looks terrific. I really like the winter effects on all your Gelida stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the effects got better as I went along and figured out the mix.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely incredible. Such a convincing terrain piece - the snow is so realistic it makes me shiver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stuff. Did you adjust the printing or just put it on a foam base to raise it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't adjust the height of the print, I put it on top of the gatorfoam base and sloped the foam on the 'outside'. The idea is that it will blend down to the table on the natural side. I did however stop the print depth, after an inch or so (coming out from the plane of the door) because I wanted a more natural stone look and was going to add foam and bark to the face.

      Delete
  4. Marvelous job! Truly masterfully done!

    ReplyDelete